Thursday, April 3, 2008

Heartbeat

Today has kind of been a dizzy day for us. It started out pretty good, except Madeline woke up just as Matt left for work at 5:45 am! Matt likes to think he doesn't have the world's loudest voice - "You always exaggerate Michaela, no one has ever told me I have a loud voice" Yeah your friends just imitate your voice for the heck of it. Anyways Matt had to call a fellow resident this morning as he was leaving the house and woke us all up. Why he couldn't wait a half a second and make the call outside or even in his car- escapes me! So regardless I got to start my day a couple hours early today!

So while the kiddos and I were eating our breakfast I was listening to our local radio station. They were giving away free tickets to Brooks and Dunn/Rodney Atkins concert if you could answer their question. Well Matt and I would love to see Rodney Atkins so I thought what the heck I'll call in. I got my laptop fired up so the minute they ask the question I could google the answer. That's what everyone does right? Well the question was " Bill Clinton warned the superdelgates that this will happen if you don' vote for Hillary" Great I thought I don't even need to google this- of course the answer would be death will happen-right. Isn't that what you are thinking the answer would be. Well while I was waiting on the phone I could hear all the other people's responses and the broadcaster was getting annoyed because no one was even close to the right answer, so he said "Okay I'll give you a hint a well known member of the Clinton administration mysteriously died here". Well now I was worried because I remembered this incident vaguely but I had no clue what the guy's name was or where he died. I was the next caller and didn't have time to google this because I was googling while the broadcaster was asking me for my name. I being the risk taker I am, instead of providing my name and answer, hung up the phone on the guy. He said on the air that the caller that just hung up on me needs to learn how to talk on the phone. Oops! Well my answer would have been close, but he was looking for "You will end up like Vince Foster at Fort Marcy Park". Better luck next time I guess.

Later this morning I had to go to my OB appointment because we are having baby #3 in late October. So no big deal I knew what to expect. It wasn't actually an appointment-more of an information session with a nurse, but that is besides the point. I had to have my blood drawn after the appointment. I hate needles-especially getting blood drawn is really the worst. With my first two children I clearly remember getting my blood drawn, but they only needed one vile of my blood. So I got a little nervous when the lab guy starting putting three, four, five, six, Seven viles onto the table.! So I said "You don't need SEVEN viles of my blood do you?" Lab guy - "Yeah that's what it says here, don't ask me. I'm just doing what they tell me to do." Oh okay that makes me feel good - he is not sure why he needs seven viles of my blood. He just knows that is what the notes in front of his face tell him to get. So the lab guy gave me the first prick with the needle, but "my vein flipped over". So sorry but "I'm going to have to use this bigger needle and do a butterfly procedure which will take longer." Okay as long as I don't start to cry I'll be alright. Well about half way into my first vile of blood the room started to get black. I didn't say anything to the guy because at this point I don't want him to stop, take the needle out, and then have to do it again. I just say "yes I'm fine" when he asks how I'm holding up. Finally during vile 5 or 6- I couldn't see anything at this point so I'm not sure which vile he was on. I tell him everything is black and the room is spinning. "Oh okay ma'am, we'll be done if a jiffy." I'm thinking great this guy is really efficient. He finishes up and at this point I about fall over in the chair. So he gets the receptionist in to put ice on my neck and give me water. Much better! I should have eaten a bigger breakfast and drank more water. Lesson learned. But the receptionist was really worried about me and insisted on calling Matt to come get me. So I give her his phone number. All the while I'm thinking, he is going to be annoyed if he has to come over here for this. So the nurse gets me a wheelchair and wheels me into the ER. Everyone waiting in the waiting room looked at me funny- I said "Hope you all ate a big breakfast" as she wheeled me into the ER so I can lay down on a cot. She says "Wait here until your husband comes". I'm thinking that may be a while. About 10 minutes later she comes back and says, "Well your husband is in lecture and can't come over right now. I could page him on the military pager if you want me to." I kind of laugh and say "Really I'll be fine". So she lets me leave-she probably felt sorry for me! Well about 10 minutes later Matt calls and at this point he thinks I am in the ER for something serious. I said yes I was in the ER because I almost passed out while I was getting blood drawn. "Oh that's it. I thought something serious happened since they called me out of lecture." I of course get mad and hang up the phone on him. I thought I remembered reading about that technique in Dr. Laura's "Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" book. So Matt calls back and of course apologizes in his own way. By this time I'm not seeing double anymore and feel confident I can drive home safely-even though I have been driving for 10 minutes. Just kidding more like 5 minutes. Fun day!

No comments: