Sunday, October 26, 2008

New Dietrich Baby


We welcomed a new addition to the family on Monday, October 20th. Lydia Lee was born weighing 7lbs 8 oz. Madeline is so excited and has been a great help being a little mommy. It has taken Toby a few days to warm up to her though. He is not really interested in her and would rather "roar" at her than hold her. Although yesterday when no one was looking I saw him try to read his Dinosaur book to her, which was very cute....




I thought this being my third baby I knew what to expect from labor. But delivering at a military hospital was a bit different than my experience at Mercy in Iowa City.When I got to the hospital I was obviously in labor so you would think I would get to see a doctor right away, right? Nope they were full - no room for me. I thought I was having a baby not trying to check into a hotel. Well they told me I could wait until they had room but not sure how long it would take. Umm o-kay. Well this waiting went on a tad longer than I thought neccessary, so I stood in front of the nurses station. I thought maybe they didn't believe that I was actually in pain or thought I could deliver this baby myself. So after standing in front of the nurses station having contractions and not getting anyone to notice, I took it upon myself to make it crystal clear to the male nurse that the big bump in front of me was really a baby and it was going to drop out soon. Well wouldn't you know it a bed was cleared. Great! I get hooked up to the monitor and everything looks good. Until Matt says, "Uh Michaela, your contractions on the screen don't look that bad, I hope you are at least dilated because I have "surgeries" tomorrow and need some sleep" Oh Matt you never cease to amaze me. I laugh at him and say "surgeries" Matt, really. What, do you have to fill a cavity or something"? Matt, "No Michaela I'm serious I have to take out wisdom teeth". Oh, Okay Matt - as I'm lying on the bed I'm thinking, too bad I can't hook Matt up to a machine.....


Well lucky for Matt they did admit me after some time and everything went fine. Although I did get kicked out of the hospital the day after I had Lydia because they were out of beds and had too many pregnant ladies needing a room........ But all is well and I was happy to get back home. Matt was great about making supper and taking care of the kids. I only had to remind him once that I had given birth the day before. It was the kids' bedtime and I asked Matt if he could put them to bed. "Can you Michaela? My foot really hurts from playing basketball on Friday"? Laughing I say "Really Matt? Are you sure you want to say that to me"?? Needless to say he put the kids to bed that night with a really "sore" ankle. I'm looking into getting that machine permanently installed in our house......


2 comments:

The Novotny News said...

This is what I needed to brighten my daY!!! I was so excited to see these pictures!! You didn't even look like you just had a baby! What a little angel. CONGRATS! I'll try and give you a call this week sometime. I would LOVE to chat with you. Your family is beautiful!! Love you guys!
Molly

erinannepro said...

Michaela,

CONGRATS on your new little bundle of joy! Hope you are all doing and adjusting well. How fun and exciting! I love looking at your blog. Elizabeth's most recent post of the home security system call was HILARIOUS! Take care. Erin